If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Spring Break has meant Spring Cleaning--or really Spring Total Reorganization--in the House of Dirt and Rocks. You see we recently came to the realization that we don't want to move anytime soon. Our original plan was to live in this house for a year--or so--while we figured out what we really wanted. As it turns out we really enjoy living in the middle of the city, where I can walk and b can ride to work, with restaurants, stores, and sundries all around us. We've also grown fond of this little house. It fits us well and we've been (mostly) comfortable.

The uncomfortable part was how we set it up when we first moved in. I felt we were not getting maximum usage out of the available space. We have also managed to acquire a boatload of junk in just under 2 years. So I was feeling crowded and cramped and decided we need to move around three rooms, clean out the attic and the closets and that b needed to build us a new bed (aren't you glad you're aren't married to me). I'm happy to report that we managed pretty much all of it (and got our taxes done too) and things now actually fit in the closets. Even the attic is neat and organized.

The bed is probably the most amazing: a platform with built-in bookshelves. Space for books has been non-existent and my books have been living in boxes in a closet. Finding a book I needed/wanted was not an easy process and browsing was out of the question. They don't all fit in the bed-bookshelf but with the reorganization I can get most of them out. It was great fun sorting through them all today and coming up with a new categorizing scheme for shelf prominence. Now I need the semester to be over so I can start re-reading.

4 comments:

Hilaire said...

That's great!

Pictures of the bed/bookshelf??

Hilaire said...

That sounded much ruder than I intended it to...! Sorry about that. Really, what I meant to convey was that I would love to see pictures. :)

Brigindo said...

It didn't sound rude at all.

b has some finishing touches to do this week and then pics will be forthcoming.

Amanda said...

Excellent about the pics. I am so jealous of the bookshelf/bed. Now I want one!