If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Training

I spent this weekend at a training workshop. Years ago I used to conduct training workshops (totally different content but the process is pretty much the same) for 2-3 days at a shot. It was exhausting and I grew to hate it. This time I was a participant.

I'm training to be a doula. We have a local program that supplies the doula training for free if you do your first three (certification) births with a teen mom. I will be paired with a teen mom and attend childbirth classes with her (as part of a mentoring program) and then I will be her doula. Having a doula has a number of health benefits for both mothers and babies including shorter births; fewer cesareans, and greater likelihood of breastfeeding. The program has had tremendous success with the teens. I don't see myself ever charging for my services but would like to continue as a doula to teen and low-income mothers.

There were 23 of us attending the training--including Pumpkin and three of my students. It was a great group of women with a variety of motives for being there but all committed to the idea of helping women birth. Unfortunately I was not enamored of the training itself or the trainer. I feel the former was directly related to the latter. I also think I'm probably overly critical from my years of being a trainer. However I did learn important information that will be invaluable once I am called to duty.

9 comments:

post-doc said...

I'm sorry you didn't like the trainer - intense sessions like that are a lot easier if you can connect with the instructor. But what a lovely thing to do for women - I think all of you in the class are wonderful!

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

That sounds like a wonderful program. And I think it's great that you are doing it. Although, I am sorry that the training/instructor are not that great.

Seeking Solace said...

That sounds so cool. Too bad the trainer didn't work out.

Annie said...

I admire you for giving of yourself. That's a huge commitment in time, emotion, and expertise; and you're giving it to those who most need it. Maybe I don't know you enough to say it(being "bloggy" friends only), but I'm proud of you!

MFA Mama said...

Oh wow! What a cool thing to do. I might do it myself when my kids are older. I assisted at about 250 births when my mom was a midwife; it never gets old.

drax said...

Didn't like the trainer, huh? Is there... is there... agh! Can't... stop... self! Is there such a thing as DUELING DOULAS???

comebacknikki said...

Too bad the trainer sucked - it sounds like a great program!

My best friend is a doula (has been working as one for the last 3 years) and is in training to become a midwife!

Julie said...

Awesome! Giving of your time and energy to help others is such a beautiful thing. I wish I had a doula when I was a teen. It would have helped to ease the fear (and probably the pain). This is so beautiful. I know you will take the information and make it bloom, because you have the heart.

MsPrufrock said...

Wow - I'm so impressed! After I had P I wished I was more scientifically inclined AND had a strong stomach, because midwifery and doula-ing (??) fascinates me. If I do the whole childbearing thing over again, I'm certainly looking into a doula.

What a wonderful programme to help teenage mums too. Shame about the trainer!